Sitting and sleeping
It is very important to get up out of your chair during the day.
Don’t sit for more than 30 – 45 minutes at a time. It is good to use chairs with arms rather than chairs that sit low.
Here are some helpful tips for more comfortable sleeping and appropriate sitting. If you have questions about these, a member of your core care team will be able to help.
- Do not lean forward when sitting. Do not bend forward to reach your feet.
- You must maintain a 90 degree angle between your torso and legs.
- Try not to bend your hip too much when getting in and out of the car.
- Do not cross your legs.
- Do not twist your foot or leg inward while lying or standing, this may cause stress to the hip joint.
- Sleep on your back with a pillow between your knees to prevent crossing.
◊Trademark of Smith & Nephew